How to make real good ice-cream
Rob is father of 2 boys and husband to Mariandi. Avid tea drinker.
Summer is coming!
Picture yourself sat out in the garden, getting your tan on with an ice cold glass of something refreshingly adult. The
kids are happily
playing splashing in the pool, your partner has the barbecue going and grilling up some chicken.
Suddenly the kids have heard the local
ice-cream extortion van and are now begging you to buy them an ice-cream each.
Your peaceful bliss is over.
Now if you had some in the freezer you could probably fob them of with that, but what if you could tell them you made it? What if they had helped?
I present to you, the
best only ice-cream recipe I know.
Yep. The base of this ice-cream is custard.
- 240ml milk
- 240ml double cream
- 170g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
For cholcolate ice-cream include the following:
- 170g cocoa
- Heat the milk on a low heat stiring continuously being careful not to let the milk boil. Take it off the heat when you start to see steam rise and the edges become slightly frothy.
- Add the sugar and egg yolks into a bowl a mix until smooth. a. If you’re making chocolate ice-cream, add the cocoa powder.
- Slowly pour in the hot milk and whisk into the mixture.
- Pour the mixutre back into the pan and once again heat on a low heat. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens. It will take about 5–10 minutes. The right consitancy will be able to coat a spatula and not run off.
- Spoon the custard into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Pour the double cream, and mix thoroughly. a. This is where you can add your flavourings.
- Pour the mixture into a deep container and cover. Place into the frezer. a. If you have an ice-cream maker, you just need to pour this mix in and let it do it’s job you lucky devil. You may now stop following this recipe.
- Every 30 minutes, remove the ice-cream mix from the freezer and whisk to break up the ice crystals that form.
- Once the mix begins to thincken, you can spoon it into its final container, or those cute lolly moulds. We bought outs from Pound World. You can find an assortment of lolly moulds on Amazon.
- Put the ice-cream back into the freezer overnight.
- Surprise the children with your handmade ice-cream treats.